Wednesday, February 1, 2012

One Light

For the spring semester of my junior year at WKU, I am taking advance studio lighting. This class has me shaking in my boots. The studio is a foreign land to me and my fear of failing is higher than ever. But I'm experimenting and pushing myself to get comfortable with this skill. 

The first assignment is one light. One light only.

This photo is very personal to me. December 2011, I found out my parents, that were married for 25 years, are getting a divorce. I used my skills and passion as an outlet to deal with this time in my life. This is my mother, 41, married when she was 18 to my father.





Working with my mother with the shoot was great and I felt disconnected from the actual issue so it didn't bother me. But writing the caption was the hardest part. It made me realize that the subjects we shoot, the stories we tell are truly personal to them and it is great privilege that we are allowed to share that story. The past year, I have become disconnect from my subjects. Shooting something this personal has me approaching stories, subjects, and people in a more understing way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment